Chocolate-covered macadamia nuts. They’re seriously the best thing about Hawaii.
When anyone asks us about our Hawaiian honeymooning, those evil treats are the first things that come to mind. In the midst of all the beauty of our honeymoon, there was truly nothing better than curling up with a box of those chocolates and indulging
a little a lot together.
After months of wedding planning, we were so relieved to step onto our honeymoon flight to Kauai. It was Amy’s first time in the Aloha State, and we were determined to take the island by storm and experience everything we could. We, of course, did all the vacation-y things you’re supposed to do on a honeymoon: ate at fancy restaurants, layed on hammocks, walked along the beach hand-in-hand and took a boat tour to see dolphins. But let’s get real, with a full week on an island, we also took on Hawaii Amy and Jordan style. In the middle of all the romance…
– We watched legit roosters roam the streets like they owned the place. (Roosters are like the stray cats of Kauai.)
– After determining that we couldn’t stomach the prices of eating at “real” restaurants for every meal, we can admit with just a little bit of shame that we stopped by every tourist’s best friend once or twice: McDonald’s
– We sat down for a one-on-one timeshare presentation hoping to get a restaurant gift card (so we wouldn’t have to eat at McDonald’s again). It lasted until the salesman realized that we were newly married, living on one teacher’s salary, and didn’t own a credit card.
– We took a romantic helicopter ride (courtesy of the gift card the timeshare salesman was obligated to give us for sitting with him at all) and landed at the Jurassic Park waterfall about fifteen minutes before Amy’s Cheddar Cheese Pringles (who even eats those by the way!) made a midair comeback. And the romance was officially over.
– We took a drive to a secluded beach and picnicked on the shore. On the way back, once we had a radio signal again, we heard that Michael Jackson had died that morning. We almost swerved off the road in shock. It brought us back to planet earth and reminded us that life was still happening on the mainland. We no longer felt like going out that night, so we headed back to the hotel, changed into our sweats and camped out in front of the news coverage.
We don’t wear socks in the house and sit in recliners all day just yet, but we know that we’ll be as happy when we’re retired and 100 years old as we were 80 years earlier on our honeymoon. That is, as long as we get to watch re-runs of mystery shows and eat boxes of chocolate-covered macadamia nuts. Together.
Want to catch up on The Pink Slip Files? You can read them all right here:
Intro: What Are the Pink Slip Files?
No. 1: Failing Pre-Marital Class & Otter DNA
No. 2: Sink or Swim
No. 3: Turning Off the Lights
No. 4: Leave a Message at the Tone
No. 5: Chocolates, Mystery Shows & Honeymooning
No. 6: Cutting Coupons & Wal-Mart Jeans
No. 7: Paper Chains of Memories
No. 8: Dancing on Bar Tops
No. 9: Man’s Best (Feline) Friend
No. 10: Confessions of a Waffle Fry
No. 11: What’s So Important About Shoelaces?
No. 12: Breaking Records… Like It’s 1924
No. 13: Why We’re Not as Classy as We Thought
No. 14: A Letter to My Only Starbucks Lover
No. 15: The Night We Killed Someone (Kind Of)
No. 16: Lord, It’s a Fire!
No. 17: 6 Words We Never Thought We’d Google
No. 18: How Jordan Convinced Amy… To Take Her Clothes Off. Every Time We Walk in the Door
We’re professional photographers who help people take better photos! Join us for a free online training and we’ll show you some of our favorite photography secrets that anyone can use!
"I always look forward to your emails! I get excited every time I get an email notification that says 'Amy & Jordan!' Even though we've never formally met, you guys have pretty much become the photography mentor I've never had!"
"I LOVEEE the Monday Minute and I look forward to it every week!"
"The Monday Minute has seriously changed the way I look at my business! In the last year, my business has completely changed and evolved and I know that it's greatly due to my time 'spent' with the two of you!"
"Best year of my life! (Photography-wise!)"